DD Waiver RenewalPrint this page
It Is Time to Renew the DD Waiver
The NM DD Waiver is a Medicaid funded program governed by state and federal regulations. The DD waiver is a home and community based services (HCBS) waiver that must be approved by the federal Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services in order for the state to receive federal funding. The federal regulation governing HCBS waivers allows for a five year renewal period. NM’s DDW approved by CMS expires June 30, 2016. New Mexico Human Services Department requested an extension of the current waiver in order to thoroughly complete activities necessary for submitting a DDW Renewal Application.
It Is A Partnership
The Department of Health, Developmental Disabilities Supports Division (DDSD) in partnership with the Medical Assistance Division of the Human Services Department will work with communities across the state, the Advisory Council on Quality Supports for Individuals with Developmental Disabilitie and Their Families (ACQ) Partners and the DDSD DDW Renewal Subcommittee to receive input and feedback on changes to the current waiver system. Click here to learn more about all of our partners.
There are various deadlines that are part of the renewal process described above. Please stay tuned for timelines to be posted here.
What to Think About for Renewal
DDSD is basing renewal work on guiding principles, applicable federal regulations and stakeholder input.
DD Waiver Renewal Guiding Principles:
People with Intellectual and developmental disabilities are active and productive members of their communities. People with I/DD have rights and responsibilities including:
- the right to full inclusion and access to the community
- dignity of risk or the right to take risks when engaging in life experiences along with the right to fail in taking these
DD Waiver services should be provided in the most integrated settings and should promote:
- person centered planning
- choice, self-determination and self-direction
- independence and individuals living the life they prefer in the community
- opportunities for competitive employment
- opportunities for skill building
- opportunities to decrease dependence on care giving
- development of natural supports
In operating a system of DD waiver services, DDSD is committed to a service system which:
- follows national best practices
- is streamlined and simplified
- ensures continuous quality improvement
- is sustainable
- promotes an equitable distribution of resources
Applicable Federal Regulations
HCBS Settings Rule: On March 17, 2014, CMS made several changes to the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR). This final rule makes several important changes to the 1915(c) HCBS waiver program, including requirements for home and community-based settings. Click here for more information about the HCBS Final Rule.
Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA): The federal law that establishes minimum wage, overtime pay, recordkeeping and child labor standards affecting full and part time workers in private, federal, state and local governments, were changed effective January 2015. This rule change and subsequent guidance from the DOL have been call the “DOL Home Care Rule”. If a provider agency is a third party employer, the agency is required to pay at least the federal minimum wage and overtime pay to any direct care worker. Click here for more about DOL Home Care Rule.
DDSD is conducting town hall meetings across the state to provide information about the DD Waiver renewal process and to collect information and ideas.
Statewide Townhall Meetings
- June 2016 Town Hall Meeting Dates and Locations
- June 2016 Town Hall Presentation (DDW Renewal)
- Click here to submit your ideas for the DDW waiver renewal (closed August 1, 2016)
Thank you for your feedback. It is important! Prior to drafting the DDW Renewal Application, Input was collected by DDSD from June 26, 2016 through August 1, 2016. Via Town Hall Meetings across the state and through surveys collected electronically and by mail. Below are summaries of all the input received by DDSD. All input was reviewed for consideration in the waiver application, potential waiver amendment or general systems improvement. By clicking on the questions below, you will be able to review the responses received pertaining to the seven (7) questions asked:
- What changes would most improve the DD Waiver? Public Response
- What comments do you have with regard to how participants rights can be protected? Public Response
- What comments do you have about the services offered by the waiver? Public Response
- What comments do you have about provider qualifications to meet settings requirements for the waiver? Public Response
- What comments to you have about incorporating residential and non residential settings requirements in the DD Waiver? Public Response
- Do you have any other comments, questions, or concerns? Public Response
- Please let us know who you are. Public Response
Events for Public Feedback
Feedback for DD Waiver Renewal Application
DD Waiver Renewal Webinar (12/07/16)
Proposed Chapter/Outline Restructure for DD Waiver Service Standards
- April 27, 2017 Memo - Feedback on New Chapter Structure and DDW Service Standards Memo
- 2017 DDW Standards Outline (draft) - Table of Contents v7
- Please take a couple of minutes to provide feedback at the following link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/FFWZCTX (Feedback accepted until May 30, 2017) Feedback on DDW Service Standards Chapter Structure
Schedule of DD Waiver Service Standards Feedback Forums – Monthly Feedback Forums on DD Waiver Service standards will be held at Bank of the West 17th Floor, 5301 Central Ave Albuquerque during July through October 2017.
|Meeting Date||Time a.m/p.m sessions||Links to Draft Chapters for Review
(NOT based on final Chapter order)
|Link for Electronic Submission of Feedback|
9:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
1:00 p.m. – 3:30 p.m.
9:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
1:00 p.m. - 3:30 p.m.
9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
1:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m
9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
1:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m
Preview of Clinical Criteria and Budget Worksheet Updates
Webinar (05/09/17 2:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.) - See the Invitation for a Preview of Clinical Criteria and Budget Worksheet Revisions for beta testing and feedback (note - this will not be recorded)
- Preview of Clinical Criteria and Budget Worksheet Updates
- Draft Clinical Criteria
- Draft Proposed Budgets Levels
- Draft Test Budget Worksheet (Please test and provide feedback)
- Draft Case Management Budget Worksheet Instructions
Please take a few moments to provide feedback to DDSD on the documents provided above by filling out our Brief Survey.
DDSD will be providing trainings for DD Waiver Providers and Case Managers statewide in June 2017 on the Clinical Criteria and Budget Worksheet updates. Please refer to the schedule for details.
HCBS CMS Final Rule (webinar)